Saturday, August 30, 2008

Starting out in blogville


Well, here I go starting to blog. Figures I would begin this on a weekend!

On Tuesday, August 26th, I had my second ACL reconstruction (therefore a revision, not a reconstruction) on my left ACL. I injured it the first time in Germany in 1990, and had a reconstruction done at the 121 General Hospital in Heidelberg. I have a dim recollection of pain, aggressively (and stupidly) accelerating the recuperation timeline, and of pretty much doing it on my own.

Some things have changed since then, some have not. Outpatient surgery, definitely different. Sleeping on a waterbed -- WAY different since I now have a bed partner who thrashes a bit. A lot of pain (more than my threshold) on the first day -- not different. Marginally less on day two, and continued decrease, which enables me to stop narcotic usage -- also way different. Add to that I am in a brace rather than a cast, manipulating the knee from side to side (was sort of squeamish about that one), and exercising my quad and gastrocnemus muscles right away, it all adds up to a totally different procedure. Yesterday (3 days post surgery), I got to take my first shower (woo hoo), put on make up and jewelry, and do my hair. Still grumble about answering the phone, though!

I am going to make sure I take the rehab time at a more reasonable rate this go-round, and will force myself not to overdo it. So far, so good, pretty happy to date (with the exception of the first day). Thanks to my friends on twitter and facebook for keeping me amused, and for wishing me well! I'll keep returning to this forum to update mood, recovery, and all the neat things I attempt to accomplish in my 30 days of being at home.

Aloha!


No comments:

Post a Comment