Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lost in real time...

Ok, ok, I've been silent...to be honest, I had the back to work blues, and have been desperately trying to figure out what it is I really want to do.  And to try to tie it into Wayne's retirement schedule.  And to make a difference.

I was initially going to file paperwork to come back on active duty for 2 years, but thanks to the knee, I'd been on profile for over a year prior to the surgery.  So, until I can take a valid PT test (six months from now), I can't even file.  That one went out the window...for now.

I've finished my CIO certification and am three classes away from the CISO certification.  I get to walk the stage in DC next year, and the year following.  So, that aspect of life is about finished.  But what to do next?

Consulting hasn't been hitting the mark for me lately, although Booz was wonderful giving me the full time and partial disability for 2 months.  I'll stick it out with them for at least the next six months while I rehab.

So what did I do?  I applied to the University of Hawaii Masters of Social Work program!  After 19 years of counseling Soldiers and friends, plus my own therapy time, I feel a special ability in this area.  It's a big change, and one that my therapist thinks is triggered by a mid life crisis (turned 41 yesterday in chilly Chicago), and it makes Wayne extend his retirement by about 6 years (which he is willing to do, after our discussions over the past month).  I'm glad he's going to support it, because I really do need change.

Speaking of change, I should be blogging more as we are headed off to Italy on our MacMania eastern Mediterranean cruise!  Expect pictures from Pompeii, riding camels in Egypt, and lots of touristy schlock in addition to commentary on the seminars.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment