Friday, October 10, 2008

On Kauai

Deep sigh. Roughly 9 months ago, Wayne and I planned a hiking trip out to Kalalau over the "Founder's Day" weekend (I still call it Columbus Day). This was when I first returned on to active duty, and was feeling pretty darn good having hiked out to Hanakapi'ai. Then came the return to active status, daily PT, and lots of walking/running/etc.

Some time in May, I stopped PT altogether due to the incremental stress on my already damaged ACL, and began the process of going to Orthopedics to arrange for the revision surgery. So, no hike to Kalalau for me. :(

This morning at about 6am I dropped off Wayne and Brooke at the trailhead. It started to rain, got heavier, so I waited, but no aborted hike. I'm now back at the Westin in Princeville and about to go out and walk for three to four miles along Hanalei Bay. Not quite the same, but blessedly without a knee brace! Yes, awesome news yesterday at the surgeon's office. Fully on track with the recovery, I just need to get to the 5 degree hyperextension of the knee that my right one displays, and I'm about fully operable. True full healing won't happen for about another 4 1/2 months, but I'm well on the way. I got to throw out the knee brace in his office yesterday!!! And I'm using the stationary bike, the elliptical trainer, walking backwards (!) on the treadmill, and using weights.

There's a really nice gym here at the resort, so I'll be in there in the evenings to complement my morning walks.

Oh, and did I mention the spa nearby where I will get my massage???

It should be a good weekend with pictures, planning on walking the golf course path, going to Waimea Canyon, and kayaking on the Hanalei River. More to come.

Just wish I had been well enough to be out on the trail, but with the rain, might be better off at the resort. =]

Aloha!

p.s. Shout-out to Dad -- Happy Birthday! I called the Cull House, your gift certificate should be in the mailbox today.

No comments:

Post a Comment