Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Gray days

Sorry so quiet over the past week and a half -- I have actually been in a bit of a slump, realizing that full time work is looming and I am not nearly quite ready to go back mentally. Couple that with a lot of rain, my girlfriend's diminishing reconciliation prospects, an inability to get out and walk due to aforementioned rain, and ridiculous inability to park at Tripler to go to physical therapy, and you have an unhappy redhead.

I had been told of my new position, working on the Guam joint enterprise architecture project out at NCTAMSPAC, which was exciting! I'd be working close to Wayne and close to home. We were already planning commuting, and going to the gym in the evening, stuff I really wanted to do.

And then, silence. Turned out that two lead EA folks from McLean are coming out to Hawaii for six months, and my spot in the workplan disappeared. Now, my boss was scrambling to get work for me. And recommended me for a project at PACOM in an area with which I am not familiar.

I know, good opportunity to learn something new, but if anyone out there knows the landscape at PACOM, parking is abysmal. I'd wind up at the bottom of a very large hill each day, having to walk it to work. Up is not so bad, it's down that's a problem. A long, steep down.

:(

Cue music, magically my short term disability was extended by 30 days until the end of October, so no need to grasp out at work right now, and another 30 days of healing!!! That takes me up to just before we leave for our Mediterranean cruise, so I ought to be in full swing by the time I get back. :)

So let's see, what's been going on? Besides having to reschedule several PT sessions due to no parking at Tripler, and not walking. Hmm. We had Eliot for the weekend for the first time since he headed out to UH as a freshman. It was good to see him. We hadn't heard from him in a while, so I texted him, asking if he was ok, enjoying school, and would he call his dad. He's good when I text him that way. He called Wayne that day and made the arrangements to come over. We went out to the India Cafe for dinner that night, and the next day walked to Denny's for breakfast, got to see Burn After Reading (darkly wicked, better than In Bruges), and had dinner out.

Sunday, Wayne and Brooke hiked the Hau'ula trails in preparation for their Kalalau hike next weekend (I was originally going as well until the surgery came along), and I sat under a tent and did my pt exercises. FINALLY heard from my girlfriend (she's been off the radar for over a week), although it wasn't promising for reconciliation. I walked (with sunscreen on) for about 15 minutes on the beach, only to burn my shins. You should see the patches where the brace was. But the water was soothing, and I was able to relax.

Finally got my friend out of her house on Monday to go walking -- she came Tuesday as well. Things are not boding well for her, her husband told her he feels empty inside, but doesn't want her to make any decisions until he returns from helping his mother on the east coast. I think she's ready to file, and she is mentally cataloging how they will split up the house, where she will go, and what she will do. Wasn't able to get her out this morning, but I think that was because he was still there. Sigh.

She brought me to my pt session on Tuesday, where I had great news. No longer need electric stimulation on my quad, the muscle is firming up, and not quivering when I contract it. We changed my routine to include weights and walking backwards (!) on the treadmill. It really looks like I have graduated to phase 2 of recovery.

I did my walk this morning (I was looking at the Nike+ website, and realized that the knee injury really started bothering me in May, when I stopped walking altogether), and was pleasantly surprised to see I have finally hit the 500 mile marker! I'm establishing a goal for myself of 25 sessions in the month of October, and I plan to meet or beat that goal!

Time for home pt exercises and a drive downtown to Booz Allen to pick up my computer and let my boss know I'll probably be working half days, mostly from home during the next 30 days.

His ears were burning -- he just called and is pleased to know that he doesn't have to find work for me for a few more days...and wants me to submit my timesheet!

:)

Ok, back to exercising and getting ready for work.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment