Monday, October 6, 2008

The "C" Word

Of all the things I hate in the world, the "c" word is among the top, and the most frequently heard these days. Can't. I HATE that word.

It was drill weekend, but not too terribly bad. I had to weigh in, which was distressing, as I have been active, but not my normal active self over the past month. I've gained about 8 pounds. Yuck. Luckily, I can do the stationary bicycle now, and will be doing so starting tonight when I meet the spouse at the gym on Schofield.

Day one of drill was a farewell for the General, who is retiring, followed by a trip to the movies with Wayne. We saw Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Not something I would normally choose, but my two preferences were not playing at the theater in Kapolei. It was cute.

Day two I was on my own in the office, writing OERs, awards, a request for orders and access to the Japan classified network, and doing mandatory training. Not another soul from my section was present, the office was freezing, and the knee throbbing. At the end of the work day, I headed home to wait for Wayne, who was out hiking with Brooke on their final preparation for the Kalalau Trail. That's when I heard the "c" word. I was told that they took an alternate route down from the top of the pass, essentially rock climbing, and they decided that I can't ever take that route down.

I was upset with that proclamation. More than a little, in fact. I explained that the things that I won't be able to do once the knee is healed generally involve sharp pivoting motions, like on a basketball or volleyball court. The verdict was modified to "can't for now."

That's still the "C" word.

Between my girlfriend's marital trouble, my sister's mother-in-law's extreme illness, my sister's marital strife, my throbbing knee and the "c" word that cuts out activities I enjoy, I was upset. In fact, there were a few tears. I went out and snuffled to Wayne, and told him never to use that word in my presence again! He scrunched up his face and was about to say something, and I must have given him the look, because he revised whatever words were to be spoken to "we should go up that way rather than down."

And, later, while making dinner, I got an unsolicited "I love you," which helped a lot.

Good God, am I menopausal, or do I need to go back on the Strattera??

I've been feeling disjointed, emotional and just not myself over the past week, which was my first week back to work. Thank goodness it's only 50%, I would have failed miserably at every task. Even when blogging, I jump from subject to subject at an astonishing speed without any obvious connections (even for me)!

So, it's back on the Strattera, and back to the gym today. Hopefully, the combination of these two things will bring my brain and self back to normal.

And I'm abolishing the "c" word!

Aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment