Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dog Days of Summer


Dwindling away, at the very least.

So what does one do when stuck at home with not a heck of a lot to do? Go online to apple.com and buy the new iPod Touch with Nike+ iTunes and a pair of in-ear headphones.

What does one do when one's good friend will not leave the house because she is so bummed with the state of her marriage? Play on her sympathy for her dog and your crippled state and ask to meet up on a walk around the neighborhood. I'm very proud to say that I've done so two days in a row since the Touch arrived and will probably do so again tomorrow morning (her husband returns from the mainland tonight, she will probably need the stress break, as will the pup).

Both days I've come just shy of 3 miles, and she has had an ear and shoulder on which to lean. The morning yesterday was hot, we ran into another friend and her dog on the loop as well (thus the two happy faces above). While she was not amenable to getting the toenail intervention accomplished, she was to a wine interlude in the afternoon. So home I went, showered and shaved my legs (can't go to the salon with hair growth!), and then out for a pedicure and a trip to the shrink.


Yes, I see a shrink, but for ADHD treatment. Late in life diagnosis. Let me tell you that Strattera has made a significant difference in my life. Something about sharing your life with a psychiatrist (this referral is about my hubby) makes you more amenable to therapy. Or less. For me it was more.

But I digress.

Back home I came, changed clothes, activated the girlfriend network (meow, meow, meow!), and dragged a bottle of wine over. We sat and talked for quite a while, even after her daughter came home, and through the spousal unit texting his whereabouts.

Believe it or not, I was waiting for that text. The night before he announced his hiring at Schofield was up in the air as they were reneging on the salary offer, and that he might be out of work in two weeks. Augh! Thankfully, when he announced his intention to leave, the hospital came to their senses.

I still digress. But that was stressful.

Anyway, we talked and ate and then came home. Later, in the wee hours of the morning, hubby and I had a good talk about the situation and I got to voice lots of questions. It was a wonderful discussion, and I relaxed to the point of being able to sleep until 7 am!

This morning, I met up with my girlfriend and we walked the loop again. Lots of good discussion, plus hugs and doggy kisses from her pooch. She will pick up her husband at 6 tonight, and there is sucky emotional time ahead for her. I told her I would stop by on the walk tomorrow morning, and force her out of the house.

I'm rambling, rambling, rambling. I hope I'm helping her, and I'm being there in the right way. I've taken on fielding the questions from the other girlfriends in the network, and am trying to channel the spouse in a way where I am moderately impartial, while at the same time extremely defensive of her.

:(

Like I said before, I'm learning.

Anyways, now watching the Cubs win (go, go, go!), and typing, getting ready to activate more of the girlfriend network and shower now that the pt exercises are done for the day.

On the plus side, I love, love, love my new iPod Touch!

Now to let that enthusiasm bubble over to supporting my friend.

Aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment