Sunday, September 14, 2008

Awesome weekend!

Not exactly the belle of the ball, not exactly on time, but AWESOME! :)

Friday was on heck of a day, woke up at 2:30 am (a standard need to turn over which I can't do right now), at which eight legs pounced upon me. Four of the legs were very vocal (meaning Rocky), and wound up moving the supported body directly on my chest. Obviously needed attention. The second set of four (Oscar Wilde-Cat) wanted to lay on my left knee (the healing one). Loud purring noises ensued from the first, and an annoying, raspy sound from the second. No luck with going back to sleep. Finally, after shooing off all eight legs (let them roost for half an hour), I tried to count sheep. Still no luck. So I got up and went into the living room to read and watch Law and Order on the DVR. At 5 am, I went back in and fell asleep about 20 minutes later, waking up again at 6:30.

Argh.

Wayne went off to work, and I started the day at home -- two loads of laundry, one of dishes, walking 2 miles, and physical therapy exercises, combined with a trip to Wal-Mart (as I've said before, the uber awesome spot in Waipahu). Got finished with all that, ate a little lunch, and it was already 2pm! So, showered, and waited for Wayne to arrive home.

He got here a little after 3:30, and we left at about 3:50. Plenty of time to arrive and make it to the cocktail time at 6. No such luck. Wayne forgot his dress shoes, and remembered when we hit Nimitz. Turned around and got his shoes. Made it to the hotel at about 5:40.

I won't digress with how disappointed I am with the Hilton staff. But I am.

We checked in, got up to the room, changed, and were downstairs at 6:20. The receiving line was closing, we chose to find out where we were seated instead. Good thing for us. No sooner had we made it to the chart, the seating bell rang. Oy.

For those who don't understand, walking in a full length, narrow skirt with heels makes you like a hobbled horse. Doing so with a brace and crutches is even worse. Add to that all the ups and down with "please be seated" and the "please stand for" and you have a nightmare. Crutches under the table, so I needed the help of both Wayne and the Chaplain (my other seatmate).

We made it through the whole evening, up to the awards at the end. Surprise, surprise, I was the recipient of the Bronze Order of Mercury! "The Bronze Order of Mercury recognizes those people who have demonstrated the highest standards of integrity, moral character, professional competence and selflessness, and who have contributed significantly to the promotion of the Signal Corps and the Signal Regimental Association." After 19 years, recognition at last. I have to thank my boss, Colonel Michele Bolinger, for the recognition. I want to be like her when I grow up. Once the dancing started, we were out of there.

The rest of the weekend was equally as good. Saturday was spent walking around some of Waikiki, going to Wine the Experience to bottle our batch Limited Sicilian Nero d'Avola-Shiraz. It was a great bottling, small, but with good people! We also selected two new vints to bottle after Thanksgiving -- one that we served at our wedding (Washington Yamhill Pinot Noir), and our most recent favorite white, a dry Australian Riesling. I'm moving further and further away from the oak monster chardonnays.



Then it was back to the hotel, a little relaxation time, and then to dinner at the Bombay Indian Restaurant. It was an awesome little hole in the wall Indian restaurant (natch) where we had some fantastic food. We had seen some terrible reviews, but the aromas wafting out were enough to lure us in...and we weren't disappointed. We went back today for brunch!

The one great thing about staying at the Hilton was the tub -- shallow with handicap access. Cannot emphasize how WONDERFUL it was to be able to sit and soak in the tub, scrubbing the leg with an intensity that could not be done standing on one leg in the shower (or sitting on the shower seat).

And now I'm home getting ready for the week, and watching Wilde-Cat attack Wayne.

Aloha!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the medal! You are my hero - such a great honor and well deserved. You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete