Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ouch!


So yesterday was my first day of physcial therapy. I had hoped to have a written description of my surgery on hand as I went in, but that was not to be. I got in, filled out the typical threatening form letter given to most Soldiers (if you miss an appointment, we will xyz, your company commander and chain of command will be notified, etc, etc, etc). Funny signing that as a family member as opposed to as a Soldier...I don't thnk the folks at the front desk quite knew how to handle it.

I got in, and much to my surprise, was told that I haven't been over-doing it in my therapy and rehab habits. In fact, I was given more to do. I got my sheet of exercises, did each one at least once, and left pt tired and sore. I was able to bend my knee to a 70 degree angle, though, which was pleasant to find out! It took me until week 3 to be allowed to bend my knee last time, so that was a good thing.

This morning, having conquered the driveway yesterday afternoon, I walked to the park at the end of the block before doing my exercises. Good thing, since I am more than a little exhausted having finished the whole repertoire! I'm wishing for my own ET to get rid of the ouch.

The pictures above are of the inside of my knee and leg during the surgery. Turns out that I have had almost no damage to the knee despite the loss of ligament for over 4 years. I was truly lucky. And I got a good note from my Korean running buddy/roommate, Cheryl, today approving of my surgeon. High words of praise, followed by wishes for good luck during rehab, the hardest part. Of course, Doc is in her 38th week of pregnancy, and any good words should be considered doubly praising!

The two hardest exercises have to be the heel slide, where I bend my knee as far as possible, and the leg lift, where I have to ensure that there is no "lag" when I bring my leg mere inches off the floor. I'm not seeing a lag, but the therapist is, so practice I must.

The new roomba is running, cleaning up the floor, so I will end it here before it yanks the magsafe connector out of my macbook as it cleans. Again, OUCH!

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment