Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Withdrawal

Yes, I've been quiet -- some might think too quiet, and have cause for worry! But never fear, all is well here now.

I went off of the narcotics this weekend. Despite having stepped down the dosage significantly, I wound up experiencing all of the withdrawal symptoms starting Sunday night (yes, after I finished my paper). I wound up with very little sleep, and multiple trips to the powder room over the following 2 days, and am still experiencing a small bit of the shakes. Oh happy day.

But now that that's winding down, I can drive myself! Woo hoo! Not my cute, sporty Acura, but the Pathfinder. The seats in the Acura are quite low to the ground (not even a worry for me at the time I bought it), so maneuvering in and out is very difficult. Given the amount of work I get to do on the knee in pt, I didn't need the extra hassle.

PT is really kicking in. I can bend my knee beyond 90 degees at this point, although it feels like some serious stretching is going on behind it. I'm working hard at being able to walk, bending the knee. My therapist (sadist!) has me doing all sorts of stuff. I get in to Tripler, take off the knee brace, and start out with 10 minutes of cycling. My great accomplishment this weekend was finally being able to do full revolutions on the pedals rather than just back and forth. After the cycling, more electrical stimulation of my quads -- 20 minutes worth -- coupled with quad presses and leg lifts. I am apparently doing quite well there, with very little lag (knee leading the exercise).

After this, we (we as in he watches, I execute) do heel slides, which don't always go well. Sometimes the knee kind of locks in place, and is very painful. It just doesn't want to move. Not a happy place for me, but I know I shouldn't get too worried. After all, it's only been 2 weeks!

Then it's over to the parallel bars, where I do mini squats and toe raises, attempting to balance equally between both legs, step-ups (lead up with the bad and down with the good) which should eventually be accomplished without holding on to the bars, and balancing on a rubber disc. All this culminates with a 20 minute ice down.

My target goal for removal of the brace is supposed to be standing on the left leg without the brace, bearing full body weight. Eek.

I have to definitely thank the folks at Booz Allen for giving me the short term disability. It has been a Godsend, giving me time to focus on strengthening my quads rather than having to deal with work and pt. I did need a break after 6 months of active duty, but wasn't expecting it to come this way!

Time to get going on my homework, so I'll stop here. I need to feed my constant companions (the koi) and to start roomba so that my other companions' furry remnants get picked up.

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment