Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Meet my new friends


Yesterday was a great day -- Wayne and I packed up some food, he packed up his dive gear, and all the support accessories (to include tent, chair, foot prop, iPhone/Pod, and reading material) we would need as we spent the day with friends at the Haleiwa Ali'i Beach Park. I was thrilled to be out, contemplating the ocean, and with friends (OUT OF THE HOUSE WOO HOO).

I was warmly greeted and assisted as I made my way to the HUGE canopied area, and everyone made sure to set up my chair in the shade, facing the ocean. We talked story for a bit, and then the others geared up.

I was sad. And envious. But I realized that it was all for the good, and that nine months from now, I will be joining them shore diving. Still, stories of 20 turtles, leaf scorpionfish and nearly incredible visibility for the Trench left me wishing that the surgery had been postponed until after Labor Day. But it was amazing to be able to be out, moving smoothly on the crutches (despite a newly broken toe, don't ask me how), and breathing salt water air. Based on the last time I had this done, I would not have expected it at all.

And then the morning comes. Here it is, September 2nd, fully 8 days post surgery now, and I am heading in shortly for my first pt session. I'm, to borrow a phrase from my brother in law coined two years ago, cautiously optimistic. Pain management is excellent, mobility far greater than expected, and I have a host of new friends/assistants (non-human) this time around to make sure I heal properly.

First is the 12 inch wedge pillow that I use while sleeping. It keeps the knee elevated, and has helped to significantly reduce the swelling. A combination of R-I-C-E is made simpler with this -- I can ease my leg up the pillow and increase the elevation, all while applying ice to the areas that are open in the brace.

The next two items that truly help are my crutches and my shower chair. The crutches are now aluminum (I think), or some other metal. They resist infection much better, are mine to keep (so they don't pass infection along from user to user), much more lightweight, and far more padded. They are also marked for height adjustments so that you don't have to guess where to position the hand holds or leg extension screws. Amazing! Of course, my last surgery was 17 years ago, so things have changed greatly. Either technology has increased or doctors have become more compassionate and understanding. Or is it both? I dunno, but I'm happy either way.

The shower chair has helped eased a great deal of anxiety, and let me shave my legs!! (I know, TMI). After the first surgery, I was in a cast for 2 weeks, so I would put a garbage bag over it, duct tape it in place, and shower, leaning against the wall. I was not allowed to really bear weight on the knee, so I stood, and showered, trying to reach the feet by bending at the waist. Can I tell you that flexibility after surgery is minimal? This time around, I was told to start bearing weight as soon as I could stand it, and was given a removable brace. Once the surgical dressings were removed, I was allowed to shower, but would have to take off the brace.

Can I tell you I was nervous? No brace, new ligament (I'm now 1/100th some other nationality, thanks to my cadaver buddy's achilles tendon), home alone. Enter the shower chair. I can now simply sit on the chair, remove the brace, and swing my leg into the tub to begin the bathing process. I was even able to prop the left leg on the lip of the tub and shave it! But I still can't quite reach the top of my foot for detailed scrubbing, so there's still a wee bit of betadine coloration by the toes. I figure one more scrubbing with the nail brush ought to do it.

Finally, the final items are my family and friends (of the carbon based type). Mom and Dad and Pam have been calling and emailing daily. Their calls got me through that horrible first day post surgery when I wished for Demerol! My friends have sent flowers, emails and called to make sure that I was taken care of and wishing for nothing. And my hubby, Wayne, was great this weekend. He made sure I got out somewhere each day, and didn't do a second dive yesterday, stayed under the tent and kept me company instead.

Annie and Jake arrive shortly to transport me to my pt session, so I'll cut off here. I want to be prepped for my cautiously optimistic outing!

Aloha.

No comments:

Post a Comment